[Previous: "I'll be your Venus on a chocolate clam shell..."] [Main Index] [Next: "Meow?"]
10/19/2001 Entry: "Too Close to Heaven."
Some notes from a great concert the Boyfriend and I saw: The Waterboys at the Fillmore. (They're playing tonight, as well, if you're looking for something to do.)
- We were vaguely expecting folky Irish and Scottish music, because that's what the album the Boyfriend has is like. Mike Scott, however, played punk in the late 70's and has lots of experience kicking your ass. Serious ass-kicking. Two and a half hours of ass-kicking. Next time I should probably wear ear plugs.
- I have rocked in the past. You just might have missed it.
- Some seriously fucked up people at the show. If you're too fucked up to roll a joint, you probably shouldn't be smoking it. And you definitely shouldn't be falling to the ground in a heap chasing the embers from trying to put the thing out. And you? Random women who you grabbed and tried to get to dance with you will laugh when you're in a drunken heap on the floor. You probably shouldn't dance like that to this song, ladies, but if you're gonna, please don't step on me again. Christ, don't you people shut up? I can hear you over the band.
- It used to be that the pot smokers hung out with the cigarette smokers for cover. In San Francisco, this is now reversed. I also can't tell you how many times I saw people who were hanging out at the bar come out into the croud to smoke a cigarette during the show, continue their conversation with the friend they pulled along with them, and then go back to the bar when they were done.
- Their keyboard player was one of the most expressive people I've seen perform. He was perpetually flipping bangs and banging head, and mouthing along with the sounds he made.
- When did I know it was going to be a good show? When the Boyfriend pointed out the Theramin.